Thursday, October 30

A rare political posting


In less than one week, California will vote on the following proposition: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” 

As you can imagine, the outcry is great.  In fact, the proposition is being called "Opposition to Gay Marriage."  Let me state clearly my position on this issue.  I am voting YES on Proposition 8, not because I am opposed to gay marriage (though I am).  I am voting YES on Proposition 8 because I am COMMITTED to TRADTIONAL MARRIAGE.

Opponents are crying "discrimination."  Proposition 8 has nothing to do with discrimination.  Oh, I hear the cries already "You are discriminating against the homosexual lifestyle."  Proposition 8 does no such thing.  Let me explain.  Discrimination is "the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment" according to www.dictionary.com (their 3rd definition).  "Wait, you just sank your own boat!  You're judgmental!" comes the cry.  No, and yes.

Judgment is always necessary.  You discriminate every day.  You chose to come to this web site above any other (unless you just clicked "next blog").  You chose the type of computer you are using to read this, the wallpaper on your screen, even the password for your sensitive files.  And you did so to the exclusion of a lot of other choices.  You and I discriminate every single day.  And that is a good thing.


You see, I am the victim of discrimination.  For years, my dreams and hopes, all my plans for life centered around one thing.  And then, discrimination reared its ugly head and denied me my dreams and shattered my hopes.  There is no chance for restitution or reparation; and I will always be the victim of discrimination at the hands of my government.  You see, my hopes dreams and plans centered on flying Apache helicopters.  But I was discriminated against - because of what I am.  I am colorblind; and no military will give me a million-dollar piece of equipment when I cannot tell which troops are the enemy and which are friendly.  Nothing I can do will change my colorblindness.  It is part of who I am genetically; and the source of discrimination - and yet it is a good thing!

Fast forward to the issue on the ballot.  To say that this proposition is discriminating is true.  We must make a distinction between what is acceptable and what is not.  This discrimination is not made judgmentally based on what a person is; but it is made to differentiate between what a person does to qualify for the label "married" in the state of California.

1 comment:

Reforming Baptist said...

great thoughts! God help us.