Tuesday, November 22

A healthy diet

Yes, I realize I am writing about diets two days prior to Thanksgiving. But you will be pleased to note that I am not talking about the food you eat or don't eat during this week.

I came across this quote recently: "It is the responsibility of every pastor to ensure that his flock is being fed the proper diet consisting of one ingredient - God's Word." While I have long known this and readily agree, I was struck by something I had never bothered to consider before. A diet with only one ingredient in it depends crucially on that ingredient. That means that as a pastor, it is imperative that I prepare a diet for my flock carefully.

The impact and application of this thought is staggering! I need to carefully select my ingredient to fit the dietary needs of my flock. Notice that the choice is based on need and not preference or taste. While the collective needs differ from the individual needs, I must prepare my ingredient so that the maximum nutrition is gained for the entire flock.

How often have I settled for the spiritual equivalent of cheese doodles and neglected the One Ingredient that was really necessary for my spiritual health and development? How often have I presented a meal of cheese doodles to my flock? May God help me to never do so!

No comments: