Thursday, February 2

Contact lenses and salvation?

Yesterday, February 1st, was a monumental day. The beginning of the month marks the time when I change my contacts! I began this habit so that I will remember when it is time (was it the 14th of the month, or the 23rd? No. It is the 1st!).

Each month I marvel at how easily the contacts go onto my eye; and the clarity they provide for my sight. No matter how much I scrub and clean my old lenses, they have to be replaced each month; and each month, I can tell the difference between a new pair and the old. Psalm 51:10 - 12 was ringing in my thoughts yesterday after I put my "new" lenses into use.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
How often do I allow myself to relive the joy of when salvation was brand new? The fact "all things have been made new" does not always bring corresponding feelings of the "joy of Your salvation." This may be due to many factors; but could it be simply the fact that we just don't remind ourselves?

Putting a new set of lenses on my eyes reminds me of just how good the new pair is. God, today, keep me mindful and aware of just how good my salvation is compared to the life I lived before!

No comments: