Friday, February 17

Olympic-style living

This week has been spent trying to squeeze as much time viewing the Olympics as my schedule will allow (and sleep will permit). I am still not sure why I need to wait for 8 hours after the event to watch it on television; VCRs and TIVO were invented for a reason!

Last night, watching the men's free-style skating competition, I got into a discussion about the "new" scoring system being used at this Olympiad. The skaters are attempting increasingly difficult maneuvers - which is good; but they are not able to complete them - which is bad. However, they are being scored in a manner allowing them to receive credit for the portions of the element that were completed - which is good for the skater, but bad for the sport. By following this logic, all a skater need do is attempt 3 or 4 quad-jump combinations and hope that they can stick the landing one of them. The scoring will credit them for all that they actually accomplish and they should walk out with a medal. The folks in the stands and at home will watch them slide across the rink on their posterior; but hey, they tried right? What's next: giving out medals for how the athlete wishes they had skated? Absurd, you say? Quite right! We ought not award medals on an "outcome based" formula. If the skater cannot complete the element, then the element has not been done.

Apply that logic to life and living, and especially to the Christian life. Please follow my logic through to its conclusion before passing judgment on it. I am not saying we ought not attempt great things, nor am I saying we should only stick to what we know we can do. What I am saying is this: When we allow our lives to be lived in a way that states "Oh well, I guess I couldn't do all that. Give me credit for trying." it smacks others of falseness and hypocrisy. Let me reduce this to absurdity. If I promise to lead the singing on a Sunday Morning; but leave after the opening hymn - I don't get credit for leading one song, I get (rightly) accused of not leading the song service. Until it's finished, I have not done it. If I only give the introduction to my sermon - I haven't preached. (Again, don't misunderstand; some sermons take a LONG time to introduce and I have sat through some 45 minute introductions before. I am talking about just telling a story or two for 8 minutes and calling it a wrap)

The Christian life is more important than an ice skating competition. We need to "score" it much more differently, too. I am afraid, though, that too often we grade on the Olympic scale. Folks will fail and fall, best laid plans will not be completed as planned, injuries occur, the great plans may not materialize as planned when planned. However, is the public arena the place to try out "something new"?

No comments: