Friday, October 8

Scheduling Conflicts

As the pastor (and entire pastoral staff) of a church in California, one of my duties is to make sure that events don't conflict on the church calendar.  By the grace of God, only once has the schedule clashed so grievously that I had to scramble fast to avoid a basketball tournament and a volleyball tournament from taking place on the same gym floor.  One lesson I have learned is that promotion is key.  The event needs to be talked about and talked up - for at least 6 weeks - if there is to be any significant response.  Everything from church dinners to youth activities, service projects to seasonal programs needs at least six weeks advance notice.  With bigger events (summer camp, mission trips, extended leaves of absence, etc.)  a full year is not out of the question.  If an event is worth setting aside time to attend, notice must be given!

Why, then, do so many churches and para-church organizations send out notices of their conferences, seminars, meetings, and retreats within one week of their occurrence?  I'm glad these groups are doing exciting things.  But, to tell me 72 hours ahead of time makes me think that either:
  • a) I'm not that important to you, 
  • b) you really don't expect or want me to attend, 
  • c) you haven't put much effort into it and maybe I'll be impressed with the glitzy announcement and wish I could go, knowing I can't come see what a debacle it really is, or 
  • d) some combination of the above.  
I'm not sure which is worse - getting information about an out-of-state conference that I wish I could attend or getting information about an in-state conference I really would have attended if only I had known.

Will Dudding did an excellent job advertising the Expositor's Conference held at the church he shepherds in the California Bay Area.  I think he was announcing the event 6 - 8 months ahead of time.  Every 3 - 6 weeks another reminder would come.  By the time I attended, I was ready and excited to see what had been prepared and promoted ... and I was not disappointed.  He already has information for next year's conference!  By contrast, a postcard came across my desk this afternoon advertising another local church's special meetings which will be held October 10 - 13.  The theme looks interesting, the speaker appears to be engaging; but my calendar is set.

So, do me a favor:  while you are promoting your events within your church, think of those of us who might also be interested and let us know with enough time to make arrangements to come.  You might be surprised at just how many show up!

No comments: