Tuesday, January 1

Genesis 1 - 3

Today's reading starts at the beginning (pretty obvious, eh?). We are immediately introduced to the central character of the Bible, God. Contrary to popular opinion, man is not the center of attention. Oh, you could argue (maybe debate is a better term) that man was created lastly, proving his dominance and prominence in creation. OK, then I guess by that logic you would also agree that woman is much more prominent than man, as she was created after man. I hold that they were created as equals, but man was given responsibility for their actions jointly.

It doesn't take long before Trouble enters Paradise. By the end of chapter 3, the perfect, God-declared good creation lies in ruins due to man's choice of sin rather than obedience. I was struck by noticing how God calls each party to individual responsibility; asking them "What have YOU done?" and then rewarding them for their actions. This reward was negative, to be sure; but God allows us our choices and the consequences of them.

On this first day of the year, it may not take me long before I ruin the pristine year that lies before me. Yet God remain faithful and rewards me for obedience and corrects me for disobedience. He is faithfully concerned with His glory.

No comments: